Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:06:09 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?=22Mich=E8l=22=20Alexandre=20Salim?= <salimma@bigfoot.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query about planned install

On Tuesday January 23, 2001 07:55, you wrote:

> Any suggestions about partitioning welcome. Currently planning to
> have either root, usr and home, or just root and home. But the main

Current advice is for a home user to have just one partition plus swap.
That way you don't waste space on some partition and run out of it on
others.  The only advantages to having more than one partition is that
you can set different permissions/attributes on each, and that if one
filesystem crashes you may be able to save what is on the others.
Recent discussion is that ffs is stable enough and backups should be
made anyway that that is not as much of a concern now.
	If you have important firewall or other logs then you would want var
as a partition of its own so you could protect it and back it up
separately.  That brings up one more use of more partitions.   If you
have partitions the size of your backup tapes, say 10gb or whatever, it
makes the backup a little easier.  Home users don't often have backup
tapes, so that isn't always necessary.
	Personally I like to have root as it's own partition and usr
(including var) as another.

> reason I send this query is regarding building the ports collection.
> I have access to a fast Internet connection at the university but the
> connection for my PC itself is a 9.6 Kbps GSM using a mobile phone
> (so I have rather non-standard hardwares including an Elan P-series
> desktop PCMCIA reader - part of the reason I'm abandoning Linux is
> the mess they have made with PCMCI support recently). Let me detail
> my current plan.
>
> 1. Install 4.2-RELEASE
> 2. Download latest ports tgz in computer room, burn to CD
> 3. Install ports

If you have the 4.2-R CD the ports tree is on it and you can install it
as an option during sysinstall.  There are ISO's available if you can't
afford the CD, though buying the CD helps the project.

> 2. Use CVSup (set up CTM for later regular use) to sync with
> 4.2-STABLE and sync the ports tree 3. make World in /usr/src
> 4. recompile kernel
> 5. test

That is the standard way.  Just make sure to read chapter 19 of the
handbook and /usr/src/UPDATING
The other way to do this is you could download a snapshot and figure
out how to install it.  That way you could download the stable snapshot
in the Uni computer lab, burn it to cd and install/upgrade to /stable
like that.  That would avoid the large cvsup download traffic over the
GSM phone.
	The other way is you could download the entire -stable src tree in the
computer lab, burn it and install that.  Then follow the make world
procedure.  That would also avoid the download over the GSM phone.  You
can get the stable source by downloading all the files in:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src
then you would have to put each one of those in the right spots.  There
may be a better way to download the latest src tree as one large
gzipped file, but I don't know.

> 6. *this is the biggie*. In /usr/ports, do 'make fetch-list', copy
> the list to floppy, download all the files in the list in the
> computer room and transfer in CD-Rs. 7. Build ports

I can't see the need to build all the ports.  Why not just download the
distfiles of the ports you want and transfer them over to yout machine
and build those.  A quick way to tell the dependencies is to run a
make clean   in the specific port dir to tell what the port cleans up.
then you need to download the distfiles for al those.
	I'm quite sure that if you built all 4500 ports, it would be way over
20GB.  You would have better luck looking through the ports on the
website to see the descriptions and just getting what you want.

> This raises some questions.
> 1. How much space to allocate for the ports' sources? My new hard
> disk is 20 Gig, planning to use it for FreeBSD, Linux, BeOS and QNX.
> Old hard disk for Windows and Solaris. Oops, flame bait :). I am
> thinking of having a shared partition for use by FreeBSD and Linux...
> perhaps ext2 since Linux's ufs support is not certified stable?

Yeah well same with ext2 support in FreeBSD.   Nice eh?

						Tim