Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 08:57:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        flaq@synwork.com (Mike K.)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: ppp problems

Mike K. wrote...

[preamble removed]

For a dedicated connection, I'd suggest using pppd.  There has been some
discussion recently on problems using the ppp program for long term /
dedicated connections.  (Although I use dial-on-demand, I need to stop and
re-start the ppp program about once a week, it seems to get choked up.)

Your approach (using the script to bring the connection back, if it's
vanished) would work fine with pppd.  If you want to persist with ppp,
I'd say use dial-on-demand, with no timeout, so you will never drop the
connection, but it will be restored immediately when needed, if it drops.

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key