Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:09:50 -0400
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   My unqualified host name

> Dunno about the OP=2C but my FreeBSD machines do not have nor need
> valid FQDNs because they sit behind a NAT firewall (and therefore
> do not have externally-identifiable IP addresses). I want hostname
> to simply return the unqualified host name (say=2C foo)=2C not foo.com
> nor foo.uucp nor even foo.bogus. I don't need sendmail to handle
> anything but purely local traffic=2C such as the periodic reports to
> root=2C and it's just fine for it to identify itself simply as foo.
> We were able to do things like this back in the days of SunOS 4=2C so
> why should it be difficult to accomplish today? Indeed=2C why should
> it not be the default mode of operation when hostname returns an
> unqualified name?
=20
=20
Common practice to handle naming was to use "computer.network.TLD" such as =
"workstation1.freebsd.org" for the internet facing side of your network. In=
ternal=2C if you were not running a split-horizon DNS setup would be to use=
 "network.local" or simply "local" for the effect of "workstation1.freebsd.=
local" or "workstation1.local". therefore if for some strange reason it eve=
r did get the FQDN outside the local network=2C nothing would be able to re=
solve it to make it an issue since there is no TLD of .Local on the interne=
t but could easily be added to an internal DNS server for personal use.
=20
 -Sean=20