Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:55:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mpoulin@honk.org
Subject:   Re: SV: Disks...?

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:45:13 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
>To: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG

[Redirected to -questions.  dhw]

>I've been wondering for the last little while whether it would be
>beneficial to assign the swap partition to a separate disk - has anyone
>tried this?  If so, how did you find it affected system performance?
>Common sense tells me that it would speed the system up,
>especially if the swap disk is on a separate controller,
>but common sense has been known to lie to me in the past.

Putting (some) swap on a relatively inactive spindle is generally a Good
Thing.  It is not necessary for swap placement to be all-or-nothing; you
can have multiple swap areas.  (Having more than one on a single spindle
isn't generally something I'd recommend, though.)  And it's my
understanding that swap use migrates toward swap areas that yield better
peformance.

Of course, best is to avoid swapping atogether, but that's true for I/O
generally -- it's faster if you can figure out ways to avoid it.

If you have an MFS-mounted file system (such as /tmp), I'm not sure
which swap areas would be used in FreeBSD; in SunOS, my recollection is
that it just treats the entire set of swap areas as a single resource as
far as TMPFS is concerned.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915