Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 02:02:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Mike <louis@autobahn.mb.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Mike wrote:

>         I need help on downloading Freebsd. First of all, I have no idea
> what files I have to download. I read all the help files but they didnt
> help. I need step by step instructions on what files to download and where
> to find them. If you could please help me. Thanx
>                                                 --Mike Doran

did you look at http://www.freebsd.org? there is a lot there. However:

You need to ftp from 2.1.5-RELEASE everything in /bin and /floppies. put
them on your DOS partition under C:\freebsd\bin and C:\freebsd\floppies.
This is for a minimal install. You can always add more later.

If you don't have a DOS partition, you may save yourself some time by
making one. The install process is more likely to get the drive geometry
right if there is a DOS partition on the disk.

You may also want to get man pages and docs so that you have some
guidance. Make the boot floppy as described at the above website, and
when you boot from it, you will get an install menu. Choose "novice",
accept any defaults possible, and when it gets to the "installation
media" part, choose to install from a DOS partition.

Then you will be a FreeBSD man like the rest of us.

Ken Marsh