Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:34:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Michael Borowiec <mikebo@Mcs.Net>
To:        SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing the FreeBSD console

> Just my two cents...
> I think it's funny your people are *horrified* by this situation, yet
> they have implemented absolutely NO physical security at all.  This is
> really quite absurd, because NO PC is secure if I have physical access.

First of all, in larger companies, development engineers are rarely
responsible for plant security - and the plant security people are not
responsible for computer security. So it falls to the UNIX admin...
It's still a problem, even though you think it's absurd.

Of course, physical access is everything. That's fundamental... However,
xlock is SUPPOSED to provide a modicum of security. Otherwise it's just a
screen saver, and then what's the point of it requiring a password?!

My point is simply this: If xlock will not provide the security that
reasonable people have come to expect, due to keyboard escapes in
underlying systems, those HOLES should be documented. Not a lot to ask...

Later,
- Mike