Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:03:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Trenton Schulz <twschulz@gloria.cord.edu>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and FreeBSD 4.3

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently got a i8000 for work and so far I am fairly pleased with the success
> I am having. Currently the internal modem and ethernet work, USB works and X is
> running.

Just wondering?  But does your Inspiron 8000 use the ATI Mobility and have
a builtin DVD drive?  I had a couple problems that I can't seem to figure
out, and haven't annoyed me enough to do something about it...

With X, sometimes, when I'm leaving the graphics mode(switching consoles or
ending my X session) the screen does a fade to a nice bright white and
locks up the machine, causing me to swear and hard reboot the notebook.
This is with XFree86 4.0.2 on up (I couldn't get a configuration to work
with XFree86-3).  I'm wondering if it's my hardware or XFree86-4 not as
ready for primetime status.

My DVD drive isn't detected unless I wait for about a minute to boot the
kernel (by setting the autoboot to 60).  If I don't wait that long then I
get "ad0 identity retires exceeded" or something along those lines (don't
have the dmesg handy :(
It didn't happen when I installed
from a 4.0 disk I had hanging around, nor if you use the old wd drivers
From the archives it sounds like it is a bug that crept in around the end
of August 2000 and has stuck around.  The annoying part was that I was
gonna try and see what happened in the offending part of code, but since it
took me longer that an minute to get there the probe succeeds and I
couldn't figure out what happened (I'm not a seasoned kernel debugger).

Anyway just wondering if anyone else is having a problem.  Other than that,
everything I use it for works peachy (never had a problem w/sound, I used the
old maestro3 driver and the current one).

--
Trenton Schulz
twschulz@cord.edu