Date:      Thu,  5 Mar 98 09:55:58 -0500
From:      Leslie Davisson <davisson@handset.laa.com>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Subject:   default route question

Hello,

I have a 2.1.5 FreeBSD system.  In my /etc/sysconfig file I have a default
route set to the correct address.  However, periodically netstat will not
show a default route.  Therefore, my system can't get to outside addresses
that it doesn't have a specific static route for.  Why does this happen?
After I reboot, the default route appears to be there, but than it goes away
mysteriously.  Here is the output of my sysconfig file that pertains to
defaultroute.

#
# Set to the list of route add lines for this host.  You must have a
# route_${static_routes} line for each static route listed here (unless
# static_routes is set to "" - do NOT use ``NO'' to denote a lack of static
# routes!).
#
#static_routes="foo multicast"
#route_foo="woofo woofo-gw"
#route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface 10.0.0.1"
static_routes=""

# Set to the host you'd like set as your default router, or NO for none.
# This is the same as adding a ``default'' entry to static_routes.
defaultrouter="204.7.172.129"

# This is the routing daemon you want to use.  Possible options are
# currently NO (for none), `routed' and `gated'.  Also see `routerflags'
# for startup flags.
router=routed

# These are the flags you'd like to start the routing daemon with
routerflags=-s

# mrouted flags, or NO if you don't want to start mrouted. Needs kernel
# options enabled before it will work.
mrouted=NO

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Leslie
---
Leslie Davisson		CableData Telecommunications, Inc.  Fax: 734.995.5989
davisson@laa.com        2929 Plymouth Rd.  Suite 300
734.995.5590  x227	Ann Arbor, MI  48105