Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:40:25 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
Cc:        8 BSD Qs <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Newbie Q: Packages or Ports?

Packages are pre-compiled binaries and supporting files squashed into a .tgz
file.  The /stand/sysinstall installs the files in the proper place and
updates the package database.  Ports are Makefiles and supporting files that
are used to automatically grab the source from somewhere and build it.  The
package database is also updated once you 'make install' the port.  The ports
are usually better because they get updated frequently.  The packages, as far
as I know, only get built for a RELEASE of FreeBSD.

Michael Rothenberg wrote:

> I read about a problem going through packages and /stand/sysinstall and the
> reply was go try it through the ports collection. So far I have installed 2
> things from ports and not a thing from packages.... what is the difference
> between them? Is one better then the other?
>
> Enjoy!
>
> -Michael

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!