Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:25:53 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>, dg@root.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

In message <4.2.0.32.19990415205608.00c78d10@localhost>, Brett Glass wrote:
} At 10:43 PM 4/15/99 -0400, Lee Cremeans wrote:
}
} >All Brett sees is "Linux is beating us. I FSCKING HATE LINUX. Somethign
} >Needs To Be Done."
}
} Bull. Perhaps YOU are full of irrational hatred (and therefore project it),
} but I am not.

I think you do have some valid concerns regarding the GPL in general,
but I continue to argue that your method of advocacy via kicking people
in the crotch is self-defeating.  If you've got rational arguments to
make, then make them in a calm, reasonable manner; you'll convince lots
more people that way.  Behaving the way you have on the lists only
serves to alienate people and draws attention away from your arguments,
making the whole argument one based upon personalities rather than
reasoning.  This thread is just one example of exactly that.

} I see FreeBSD's continued failure to emerge into the limelight, in
} contrast with Linux's runaway success, as the result of serious problems
} in public relations, promotion, and advocacy. In particular, Jordan
} Hubbard's refusal to acknowledge his own shortcomings as a PR person,
} as well as WHAT WORKS, are to blame.

Others have argued that the rate of growth for both is roughly similar,
and that most of the difference is attributable to Linux getting more
or less a head start while the various *BSDs were tied up in legal limbo
during and after the USL lawsuit.  I think there's merit in that claim;
whether it explains 100% of the difference I don't know.  I don't think
that FreeBSD has to take over the world, or even beat out Linux for
market share, in order to be successful.

} Linux's success and FreeBSD's failure could have devastating long-term
} consequences in the computing world due to the promulgation of the GPL
} and Richard Stallman's destructive agenda. Thus, Jordan's actions stand
} to harm not only FreeBSD but the industry at large.

Yeah, yeah.  ``Death of FreeBSD, film at 11'' and all that.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com