Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 04:30:20 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

On Friday 03 August 2001  3:07 am, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:19:42AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> > I prefer -SECURITY, because it makes it clear this is the branch
> > dedicated to security fixes and nothing else.
>
> Yes, but then the newbies would think this was some special release
> with extra security features.  And complain when they get rooted.
> We go through "why isn't -STABLE really stable" three or four times
> per year.

Agreed. Bloody newbies :-)

But won't -SOLID have roughly the same sort of problems? People will think it
is somehow more solid than -STABLE. I can see the questions now, "What is the
difference between a -SOLID and a -STABLE machine?" :-)

I don't think -SOLID really says security fixes. It says stability fixes to
me, of which security fixes are just a part.

My vote is still on -SECURITY. You'll never find a name that is all things to
all people.