Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:53:40 -0500
From:      Pat Wendorf <beholder@beholder.ods.org>
To:        SDS <bsd-stable@boneyard.lawrence.ks.us>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -Stable on a Toshiba.

SDS wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Stephen Roome wrote:
>
> I am using a Tecra8000.  A loose order of operations is to disable sound w/in
> BIOS, configure everything else.  See what system resources are left and
> utilize them in the configuration of pcm and the sound device.  Also, this
> is not a PnP device so I found it expeditious to remove the pnp option from
> my kernel config.

I have a Digital Highnote VP 575, which uses an ESS1688 sound card
(chip?).
I'm not sure if you have this problem, but when I use the pcm0 driver,
I get 16 bit sound, but the playback is very very choppy and sounds
horrible.
Now I'm stuck with the snd0+sb0 device drivers, which only give me 8-bit
mono sound.  The nice thing about the pcm0 driver is it properly detects
the sound card as an ESS1688, while the SB driver complains about the
wrong sound card type, but it functions nonetheless.

Any insights from a fellow laptop users would be appreciated.