Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2000 02:52:59 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Armin Ollig <armin@metzelkueche.tabu.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware again...

Armin Ollig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am running vladimir's vmware port  on -current as described on
> http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/
>
> Thanks a lot for this nice port :-)
>
> However my problem is when running NT 4.0 SP4 on vmware the virtual
> machine does freeze for about 7 seconds in intervals of about 30secs.

This is the syncer process doing a msync() of the mmap'ed virtual memory
file every 30 seconds.  I have a trivial patch that should fix this
properly, but I haven't been in a position to reboot my box that has vmware
on it to test it.  (background: vmware mmap's /var/tmp/somefile and then
unlinks it.  My tweak is to stop msyncing files that have been unlinked as
the data does not need to be saved in a reboot.  Pending dirty data is
already discarded when a file is closed if it is unlinked already.)

Cheers,
-Peter