Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:10:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Netatalk stopped working

I'm running netatalk 1.4b2 (from the ports) under 3.3R, and have been
using this combination for about a year on this machine. It's worked
fine ever since 3.3R came out last October.

This past weekend I was playing around with my (seemingly unrelated)
firewall configuration on the same machine, which involved multiple
"shutdown"s to single-user mode, followed by exiting to multi-user. At
some point during this iterative process, I noticed that netatalk was
not coming back up like it used to. On boot, I'd get messages to the
effect of "AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1"  and "Can't register
<hostname>:". When I run the shell script
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh manually as root, I get no error message
but the daemons don't start.

Yes, I'm waiting long enough. I haven't touched the startup script or
the config file, and this machine is not trying to grab the same node
number as my other netatalk server. My ethernet card is still multicast
capable and still properly configured, just as it has been since 1998.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Could ipfw be blocking the port(s)
all of a sudden, when it never has before?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape