Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:17:00 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Patrick Whalen <patrickwhalen@mac.com>
Cc:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:46:37PM -0500, Patrick Whalen wrote:

> The NIC that I have is actually new. I bought it specifically because
> it was listed in the Hardware Notes.

Even the manufacturer's datasheet
(http://www.efficient.com/pdf/products/1012_1020.pdf) claims that
FreeBSD is supported.  Unfortunately it doesn't go as far as saying
what chipset is used on the card.

> When I install, or boot -c, I get a list of 6 drivers from which to
> choose. None of them stand out as the correct one. At first, it shows 7
> conflicts. If I get rid of all of them, and then later on go into the
> Networking configuration, the card shows up as an unidentified device,
> or something to that effect. If I choose an arbitrary driver, either
> nothing will show up under Networking, or I will get something like
> faith0.

The boot time configuration is only for old ISA/EISA cards that cannot
identify themselves to the OS.  PCI cards like yours should be
automatically detected by the OS and the correct driver selected.

> Should I need to choose a driver, or is it automatic? Is there
> something else that I'm missing? Is there anything specific which I
> should look for when I type 'ifconfig'?

Should be automatic.  Can you run 'pciconf -l' (as root) and show the
list the output?  That will show the PCI ID numbers of all of the
components on your system and what device (and hence driver) they
correspond to.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way