Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:10:26 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        ambrisko@whistle.com (Doug Ambrisko), current@FreeBSD.ORG, erich@jake.lodgenet.com
Subject:   Re: netboot & ELF kernels

Luigi Rizzo writes:

>A few comments on netboot. Recently, erich@lodgenet.com
>contributed netboot support for "fxp" cards. The msg was posted on some
>freebsd list about 1 month ago, and the file to look for is "nbfxp.tgz".
>
>Again, better than nothing, although it does not support ELF i think.

Yea, that's right, although it's the netboot infrastructure, not the
fxp specifics (obviously).  I talked to Mike Smith on the future of
netbooting when the 3-stage boot was still in early developoment.  There
is some code in the new 3rd stage that looks like it's there for netboot;
but I'm not sure whether it's functional or not.

I was kind of figuring that the current bootroms would get the 3rd stage
boot loader, which would in turn fetch the real kernel.

Supporting any card that has a FreeBSD driver isn't that tough, you don't
really need programming specs other than the driver source (although
it is nice).  Tricker is actually burning the flash image.

>Having tried both the tftp and nfs method, i prefer the latter a lot
>because it means i don't have to cnfigure another service (TFTP) on the
>server: with the current FreeBSD's netboot, you can supply all
>parameters with bootp (which you'd need anyways -- or replace it with
>DHCP i guess) and download the kernel with NFS (which your server
>probably already has).

I'd have to agree with the bootp/nfs scheme.  I use NFS enough that I'm
somewhat familiar with the errors it gives; but everytime something
goes wrong with tftp, I end up groveling through the man-pages and
tcpdump ;-)

>	cheers
>	luigi

Eric