Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:12:31 -0700
From:      "Justin Wang" <JustinWang@netcreate.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   unable to make install

Hi,

I am having some problems with the "make install" command when trying to install samba.

I installed the lastest version of freebsd from the ftp server, and all was fine.

When I went to the directory /usr/ports/net/samba
and used the make install command, I got the following error message:

"samba 2.03, your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk. You need a fresh make work or an upgrade kit. Please go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports and follow the instructions."

I went there and read everything but could not figure out what exactly I needed.

Do I need to use the CVSup utility and upgrade my whole repository or do I just download a patch, which patch??

Is there a step by step easy to follow instructions to fix this problem.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.  I am a Window NT guy who is trying to see the power of FreeBSD, and so far, I am just plain confused.

Thanks,

Justin Wang