Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 16:51:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Babler <root@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Future Domain TMC-840

In an attempt to utilize the bits and pieces of hardware I have laying
around, I am trying to make an old Future Domain 840 controller read an
old, slow CD-ROM drive. My intent is to at least have access to the live
filesystem CD so I can upgrade my hand-installed 2.0.5 setup to 2.1. I
intend to upgrade the hardware later, but for now it'd be very nice if I
could get i working.

My hardware is a 486DX2-66 with 16MB of RAM, Maxtor 505MB IDE drive, Intel
EtherExpress 16 NIC (irq 10) and now the TMC-840. I remember reading that
the Future Domain devices were supported, but the current hardware FAQ
doesn't mention that at all, so I poked around in the driver source until
I found it was in the Seagate driver. Booting the generic kernel, it
recognizes the controller but doesn't find devices. The driver settings
are for irq 5 and iomem 0xc8000 - confirmed by the jumper settings.

I've tried two (old & cheap) drives I have around: an NEC model 36 and a
Denon DRD-253. The Denon makes it loop forever displaying an unknown SCSI
bus state and the NEC gives me:

	sea0: type Seagate ST01/ST02
	sea0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
	sea: arbitration timeout (repeated 30-50 times)

Is there something I've missed, or will I have to buy a new controller
and/or CD-ROM drive? Both CD-ROM drives are known to be good, and the
Future Domain used to run the Denon drive. Does this look like a
controller problem or a drive problem?

TIA.

-Dave