Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 01:19:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> 	from what i have heard the california and texas school boards
> 	buy so many school books that publishers write for those two
> 	markets and let everyone else select whichever one of he two
> 	they prefer ;)

I was off working on an academic project, but I want to get a comment in
on that.  The big publishers don't sell schoolbooks to you, they sell them
to the school districts.  That idea that they can't specialize, because
their market was too big, was something I believed too, until I had to do
some software for the printing industry.  I found (to my shock) that it
isn't anywhere near that way.  I have been told by a schoolbook editor
that some of the compromises they are forced to make, to sell to some
markets, are fairly repugnant to them, but a buck is a buck ...

I don't trust state school boards as far as I can throw them, but making
the decision local magnifies that problem.

I have met too many biased folks, I guess.  There are a lot of them.  Many
are biased in a way you don't think of, those who can't allow the
disciplining of troublemakers, because it isn't "fair".  This is the cause
of many school problems, just as many as the more popular idea of what
prejudice is, that of race/creed/color.

The best idea I've found is to put the decisions at the highest possible
level, so it has the greatest publicity.  It's a horrible method, but I
don't see a better one.  School vouchers push this decision level to it's
lowest level, and makes for less visibility of abuse.

Trust White parents?  Look, I'm white, but I've seen that prejudice is a
pretty equal opportunity employer.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |