Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:29:31 -0300
From:      Ken Easson <ken@justken.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: guy with nic problem, got somewhere.

I have been pulling my hair out all day on this one.
it's a question that has been asked on hundreds of boards, and the answers
seem to be all different and none work for me.

how do i get my internal web browser to view the pages on my internal web
server?
and have my internal ftp client connect to my internal ftp server using
www.myurl.com instead of the internal ip 192.168.0.2 since i am using
virtual hosting, and this doesn't allow my to resolve the name.

fig:

comp B (192.168.0.2)
ie browser looking for www.myurl.com
apache web server hosting www.myurl.com

                 vr0 192.168.0.1         comp A       xl0 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
internet
                 ipf added: pass in quick on xl0 from any to 192.168.0.2
port = 80
                 ipnat:
                 rdr xl0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 port 80 -> 192.168.0.2 port
80
                 rdr xl0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 port 21 -> 192.168.0.2 port 21 tcp

comp C (192.168.0.3)
ie browser looking for www.myurl.com

the outside can see my web server, but i can't connect to the web server
from inside my nat'd network.

one solution suggested using an internal dns server, which i tried to set
up, but that is not a simple thing... and i'm sure i got a tonn of stuff
incorrect in the zone files. (i tried setting up named - aka bind 8.?.?)
much of the info i found was piecemeal like - well, ipnat is configured
correctly do this for ipf - only they don't show the ipnat, so i have no
idea what that looks like.

i just want to pass all outgoing requests for port 80 and port 21 back to
192.168.0.2 (the server with apache and ftp).

ken easson
justken.net
ken@justken.net
justken web programming and technical support.