Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 18:46:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Leon Kaplan <kaplan@CSlab.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        vadim@cad.polytech.kiev.ua (Vadim Shevchenko)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Kernel don't compiles.

> Hi!
> When I run `make depend` and after `make` to compile standart GENERIC which
> i get from CD it prints:

> if.o: Undefined symbol ether_output' referenced from text segment
> if.o: Undefined symbol ether_ifattach' referenced from text segment
> if_ether.o: Undefined symbol etherbroadcastaddr' referenced from text
> segment

Hi!

I am _not_ an expert with the FBSD config files, but:

the list of error you presented suggests that the various if.c, if_ether.c, ...
expected some extern(al) variable or function somewhere in another
.c or .h file which was not included. I noticed that you had changed very
little in your /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file. I would suggest to start over
with the original GENERIC file, copy it to /sys/i386/conf/MYKERNELNAME, then
remove all devices which you don't need, taking care that you don't accidently
remove such "meta"devices like the general sound driver (upon which most
other sound drivers are built) - and try again.

Maybe this helps.

greetings,
Leon Aaron Kaplan.