Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:12:04 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eureka! Pasting into netscape

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 11:32:29PM -0700, Studded wrote:

> 	I love netscape and use it in X for mail, news and of course, web
> browsing. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't
> paste into netscape from other parts of X. It was making me batty. What
> I was doing was what I learned somewhere, swiping with mouse button one
> to highlight what I wanted, clicking once with mouse button one to copy
> the text to the clipboard and then clicking once with the middle button
> to paste. This worked fine for EVERY app except netscape.

I'm intrigued. How do people generally learn this sort of stuff, right or
wrong, in the first place? When I first installed X I could find lots of
info for programmers, but basic instructions like how to use the mouse
were pretty hard to come by. I think I hit power switch about five times
(ouch!) before learning that ctrl-alt-backspace will get you out of X :-(
Most people I've asked said they learned by watching someone else, which
doesn't help those working alone.

> So, the other day I'm upgrading to netscape 4.05 and decided to test
> the pasting problem, just in case. Well, after being bitterly
> disappointed I decided to try something just to see if it works. I don't
> remember why I wanted to try this idea, but anyway what I did was
> highlight the text in the xterm and *leave* it highlighted. Then I
> clicked in netscape with the middle button and Voila! It pasted. You
> can't imagine my joy. :)

The way it was explained to me (on IRC incidentally), as soon as it's
highlighted it goes into the clipboard. I'd never click mouse button one a
second time for fear of losing the clipboard's contents. Apparently that
doesn't matter, unless it's netscape. Hmmm... another case of having to
understand how things work rather than just the method.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more