Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:39:36 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP server recommendations

Nik Clayton wrote:
> I'm in need of an IMAP server.

I generally recommend Cyrus.  The U of Washington server has a
lot of holes in it that result in NULL pointer dereferences in
obscure cases.  THis becomes particularly obvious if you convert
the code to C++ and then use a pure virtual base class for provider
instances, since it shows up as instance initialization errors.

> It's got to support a grand total of 2
> users, and being able to throw an SSL protected webmail system in front
> of it would be a bonus.

The webmail system will probably have to be "home grown".  All
of them which support IMAP, to my knowledge, also support both
Cyrus and the UofW IMAP servers, and almost all of them support
IMAP, since POP3 doesn't give you a mans of dealing with folders.

> As would easy integration with Procmail.

Procmail is a mail delivery agent (MDA) integration issue, and
is almost totally unrelated to the IMAP server you choose.  If
you are planning on Cyrus IMAP, then the "deliver" program can
also support the "sieve" facility, which you can use to get many
of the procmail behaviours.  The benefit to the use of "sieve"
is that it permits you to manage the rule sets from the client,
without having to do it manually and via direct login, as you
will be required to do, should you elect to use procmail.

> Any recommendations?  There are several in the ports tree, but I don't
> have enough real world experience with any of them to choose one, and
> life's too short to try all of them.

Almost no webmail client does all the necessary work for proper
MIME decoding.  This is a shortfall of PHP, whose primary reason
for living has always seemed (to me) to be webmail clients.
There are no decent PHP4 books (I generally judge them by their
ability to directly render MIME without a hell of a lot of code).

THere are other webmail instances that don't require PHP, but they
are mostly toys (IMO).

-- Terry