Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 05:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
To:        windeath <windeath@sirinet.net>
Subject:   Re: PPP Distress<grrr>

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, windeath wrote:

> > > default:
> > >   set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
> > >   set device /dev/cuaa2
> > >   set speed 115200
> > >   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
> \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> > >   set timeout 300
> > >   add default HISADDR
> > > sirius:
> > >   set phone "3510124"        #Separate multiple phone numbers with a |
> > >   #set redial 3 20
> > >   set login
> > >   set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
> > >   set authname linux
> > >   set authkey *****
> > >

> > > here's the log
> >
> > [snipped log]
> >
> > Try removing (or commenting it out) the set login line.
> >
> > You may want to look at the ppp man page to see how to use it, should
> > you want to. Normally there is a script called with that command.
> >

> I'm tired of people telling me to RTFM, no one seems to understand that by
> look logs, I don't even reach the login stage

Sometimes we tell people to look a certain sections because we seem
using them wrong. The first time I set up PPP, this bit me. In this case
it was not the problem, but looked suspect. Please read on.

> I NEVER receive CONNECT, so it doesn't matter what my login is, and 40 secs
> is ample time to connect, but when I use a terminal programe, like minicom ,
> I have no problem

Looking at your set dial line again I see a difference between the
"stock" ppp.conf and yours. I missed this the first time.

set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
ATE1Q0 OK\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
^^^^^^ ^^
I just tried setting my set dial line without the ATE1Q0 OK, and
recieved the "chat script failed". The modem never dials.

Hopefully this will get you going. :)

E=mc^2
student 1 each     Ken Keeler
Phi Theta Kappa