Date:      13 Oct 1999 17:26:09 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup conceptual question

Hi all:

I've installed 3.3-STABLE a couple of days ago. Now I'm trying to
understand CVSup mechanics. As of now, I run FreeBSD on a P133 with
somewhat limited disk space, so I'm trying to be as conservative as
possible. I did minimal install, and then used /stand/sysinstall to
install only the things that I need.

I would also like to stay as stable as possible. Am I right in my
understanding that including tag=RELENG_3 will *only* get me those
updates, that have been tested and deemed stable?

So far, I have upgraded my sources with the following supfile:

*default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default tag=RELENG_3
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix

src-base
src-bin
src-etc
src-gnu
src-include
src-lib
src-libexec
src-sbin
src-share
src-sys
src-tools
src-usrbin
src-usrsbin
cvs-crypto

I would also like to track updates for some of the ports, installed on
my system. 4 questions on this:

1. If I included ports-www release=cvs in the supfile, then it would
   result in *all* ports under that category installed on my system,
   right?

2. I understood that I can't include tag=RELENG_3 with any of the
   ports, right? In that case, will I get ports from CURRENT when
   doing the update? Is there any difference between the ports, used with
   CURRENT, and the ones, shipped with STABLE?

3. Will I get sources or the binaries of the ports?

4. Is there any way to specify on a per-application basis, which of them
   I want installed and updated? Like I said earlier, all I want are
   updates to apache, mutt, and a *very small* number of applications.

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                      http://wgaf.dyndns.org
  "You should seek your enemy, you should wage your war -- a war for your