Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:24:14 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Steve Watt <steve@Watt.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendto() giving EPERM outside a jail

On Mar 28, 10:23, "Daniel O'Connor" wrote:
}
} On Saturday 24 March 2007 02:47, Steve Watt wrote:
} > >According to my reading of the man page it is not possible to get this
} > > error unless I'm using jails (which I'm not). The code in question does.
} > That's probably a buglet in the man page.
}
} I guess it would be nice if the man page(s) mentioned that a firewall could
} cause EPERM. I have seen it before with other apps but the sendto() confused
} me.

It's one of those unpleasant interactions between pluggable subsystems,
so it's a bit tough to document -- there are various different firewalls
available, after all.

} > >Can someone shed light on what the problem is? The application appears to
} > > work fine even with this error though.
} >
} > man setsockopt, search for SO_BROADCAST.
}
} It doesn't say anything about EPERM.

If you're sending broadcast broadcast or multicast datagrams, you need
to set the SO_BROADCAST socket option, as well.

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.5" / 37N 20' 15.3"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                      Whois: SW32-ARIN