Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:38:18 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - windows wavelan interop

Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org> probably said:
> I just added a pair of wavelan cards to my network and found them quite
> easy to use with freebsd out of the box. However, interoperability with
> one in windows is nonexistant.

the most recent windows drivers use a different ad-hoc mode. Downgrade
to the old drivers if you want this to work right now.

> No settings seems to allow them to communicate. I have seen several
> posts referring to changing the ad-hoc mode to BSS, but this only
> seems to disable the cards completely (all led's turn off).

BSS mode is for use with a base station, liek an Apple Airport which
is what I use. If you don't have a base station it won't work.

> And why does the encryption in windows always seem to jump
> back to alphanumeric keys even when I am using (and originally input)
> hexadecimal keys.

because thats the way the windows driver stuff was written.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu