Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:14:52 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        ritesh parmar <parmar@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Init: not found in path (was: why is freebsd so unstable ???)

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:48:21 -0800
ritesh parmar <parmar@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody.

Hi,

Better pose this kind of message on question@. Also use a more
descriptive subject.

> I've just recently install Freebsd 5.1  on my system
> (AD77 Infinity motherboard, Nvidia fx 5600, 512 Megs of ram).  I spent
> an entire day configuring and  booting between freebsd and win2000.

I fail to see what you mean by that, as FreeBSD's BootEasy works
automatically. You did installed when prompted by sysinstall, didn't you
? Or you use another boot manager

> The next day when i booted up my system ( after shutting it down with
> shutdown -p now) it failed to boot up and said "Init: not found in
> path."

Boot in single user, if possible, and give the output of lsdev; also the
output of fdisk and bsdlabel on the hard disk in question will be
useful.

>  I couldn't figure out a way around this so I re-installed it
> and spent another day setting everything up. THE VERY NEXT DAY I
> started my computer and  got the same error message?

Be glad; the harder problems are those that are not reproducible.

> Does anybody know
> why this is happening ?? Freebsd OS has its own 80 gig hard drive
> (with seagate's track manager).

I have a strong feeling that the seagate tool is your problem. Note that
FreeBSD is accessing the drive directly (by querying the drive itself to
get its parameters) after the first boot phase, and so it is by-passing
any kind of software that "lies" about the hard disk geometry.

> Is it possible to make a boot disk and then mount the freebsd
> partition (to fix errors in the boot up script )?

The "Fixit" or "Live-CD" - the second ISO is a live file system CD which
is what you want.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user