Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:35:57 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl0 won't autoneg full duplex

Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au> probably said:
> I've got a <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> plugged into a Cisco
> Cat5500 100Mbps switch, and I'm been running various 3.x versions
> from 3.0-RELEASE up to the 3.4-RC from 13/12.

> This card is happy to run in Full Duplex mode if I force it with ifconfig. If
> left to autonegotiate with the switch, the xl0 comes up 100Mbps/half-duplex,
> but the switch comes up full duplex.  Hence I get lotsa collisions (~20%).

Catalysts have had famously bad 100Mbit negotiation.

They often won't negotiate correctly with _other_ _cisco_ products,
let alone anything else (I had this problem with sparcs plugged into
catalysts).

Make sure your catalyst is running the most recent software ... it got
a bit better.  Oh, and next time, go buy foundry switches, they're
nicer and cheaper.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu