Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:46:40 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Jim Barker <jbarker@BBN.COM>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha OPL card

Jim Barker wrote:

> I will investigate the pcm driver that you are referring to, I appreciate
> the insight, thanks.  If you could provide some detail's, that would
> be great as well, thank you.

In the kernel config file add:
controller      pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

Write down the pnp line for the Yamaha
(/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS). You'll need to for when you reboot
(kernel -c) I think the code is in 2.2.7-RELEASE, if not you can add it
from Luigi's website (http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/sound.html).

>From my dmesg:
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0020 [0x2000a865] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: PNPb02f
[0x2fb0d041]
mss_attach <Yamaha SA2>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 0:1 flags 0x11
setting up yamaha registers
set yamaha master volume to maxpcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <Yamaha SA2> sn
0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x11 on
isa

Oh yes:
joy0 at 0x201 on isa
joy0: joystick

The joystick is one of the dumbest PC interfaces on the planet.
(Usually,) It's either on or it's off.

>From a post I made sometime back, and it's reply from jkh:
> Am I correct in the assumption that Luigi's code is mutually exclusive
> with the snd0 driver? I'd like to use the OPL3 on my sound card

You are correct in assuming this.

- Jordan

I personally highly recommend moving the soundcard from IRQ 7 to IRQ 5.
An IRQ per device. I think only MCA (unsupported) and PCI share irqs.
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>