Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2006 23:07:44 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Andrey Beresovsky <and@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on ips0: resetting adapter, this may take up to 5 minutes

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

JB>This is good.  Btw, the patch should apply cleanly to 6.x from yesterday.

Well, I forgot to mention that in all combinations I've only checked 6.x
I've also tried 7.x and it also works but I've checked only one kernel
and I don't remember was it UP or SMP kernel.

JB>> amd64 doesn't. Both GENRIC and SMP kernels hang at boot, just a little bit
JB>> earlier, compared to nonpatched version. Last messages from kernel:
JB>This is quite odd.  The i386 and amd64 apic code is actually almost
JB>identical, and I actually first implemented this on -CURRENT on amd64 and
JB>then copied the patches over to i386.  Did you have any conflicts when
JB>you applied the patches that you had to fix up?

The patch applied cleanly. I used RELENG_6 with this changes:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=592494+0+current/cvs-src
So I had nothing to fix. I've just checked it once again - src has no
*.rej files.

And I've just tried 7.x both recent and of 2006-02-28 22:30:00 UTC where
you have already integrated your changes
(http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=336678+0+current/cvs-src)

With apic system hangs at 'lo0: bpf attached' just like I've mentioned in
my previouse letter. But with apic disabled I got this:

ips0: <Adaptec ServeRAID Adapter> mem
0xd0300000-0xd0300fff,0xd4000000-0xd7ffffff irq 11 at device 1.0 on pci3
ips0: Reserved 0x1000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xd0300000
ips0: irq allocation failed
panic: Assertion mtx_unowned(m) failed at
/usr/src-HEAD-20060228-223000UTC/sys/kern/kern_mutex.c:885
cpuid = 0
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
Stopped at      kdb_enter+0x31: leave
db>

Boot logs are available:
http://rsu.ru/~os/ips/boot.amd64.no_apic.HEAD-20060228-223000UTC.txt
http://rsu.ru/~os/ips/boot.amd64.apic.HEAD-20060228-223000UTC.txt

Can I do anything else to help investigating this issue?

--
Oleg Sharoiko.
Software and Network Engineer