Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:14:39 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <peterg@ptree32.com.au>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   gcc3.1, freebsd/ppc, _BIG_ENDIAN ?

Hi David,

 I just built a 3.1 powerpc cross compiler on a 5.0-DP1 system, and
_BIG_ENDIAN ended up being pre-defined, which conflicts with the
FreeBSD definitions in all variants of <machine/endian.h>.

 Should this be fixed in gcc's config/rs6000/freebsd.h ? I noticed that
the vxworks config file changed the definition:

config/rs6000/vxppc.h:

/* Don't define _LITTLE_ENDIAN or _BIG_ENDIAN */
#undef  CPP_ENDIAN_BIG_SPEC
#define CPP_ENDIAN_BIG_SPEC "-D__BIG_ENDIAN__ -Amachine=bigendian"

#undef  CPP_ENDIAN_LITTLE_SPEC
#define CPP_ENDIAN_LITTLE_SPEC "-D__LITTLE_ENDIAN__
-Amachine=littleendian"

later,

Peter.