Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:56:20 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        bradford fligor <kb1ql@msn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video card compatibility

Jerry McAllister wrote:

>>Hello Support !
>>
>>I bought FreeBSD 5.1 and Handbook for my 10 year old "computer nut" son
>>for Christmas and have had problems installing the full graphical version.
>>

>Good choice.  Get him started right.
>

>>When asked for "video card" on installation, I don't' know what to select.
>>I have on-board video on the motherboard at this site.
>>
>> http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=35

Well, it doesn't say what the video chipset is - just "3d graphics
engine". But on the drivers download page there is a Via four-in-one
driver for Windows. On the specs page the motherboard is identified as
using the Via KM266/8235 chipset. After a bit more googling and
rummaging, it looks to me as though this is an onboard Via/S3 Savage 8.
So try the S3 Savage driver. If that doesn't work, say so and I'll
rummage again.

HTH.

PWR.