Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:48:00 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy way to upgrade from 6.3 to 7.1 (including port packages)

Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> in my experience, in usual kernel && userland upgrading is good,
> however, everytime port upgrading have problem, whenever new -REL is
> released ;; i usually do port upgrading by portupgrade(1).
>
> at once(when 6.2-REL was released) i did upgrading port by
> portupgrade(1) but i met failures on the upgrading. then i did
> `pkg_delete -af` and then i did installation all packages by pkg_add(1)
> cause at that time the packages were twisted each other roughly ;;
>
> so is there any easy way to upgrade packages ??
> can you please help me about this matters?

The generally accepted wisdom (which I am repeating because I agree with
it) is that when updating major versions you should:

1. Carefully back up your configuration files and data
2. Do a clean install of the new version
3. Update configuration files
4. Restore data
5. Re-install your ports.

What I usually do for step 3 is to un-tar the old configuration files in
a new directory and then diff -ur old/etc /etc, and after ports are
installed I diff -ur old/usr/local/etc /usr/local/etc.

For step 5, I have a recommended update procedure in the portmaster man
page. Even if you don't intend to use portmaster to re-install your
ports I recommend installing it and reading that part of the man page
before you do your update to get an idea of what is important for you to
restore.

hope this helps,

Doug