Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:02:51 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Matthew K. Cowger" <mcowger@bowdoin.edu>, "Luiz Emerson" <forkbsd@yahoo.com.br>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel

> > Hello...!!!
> > I'm new user of the freebsd and would like of to know
> > if exist upgrade of kernel with in the linux.

> I'm not sure If I understand your question, but here's what I think you
> are asking:
>
> "Can I upgrade the kernel, like in linux?"
>
> If so, the answer is an emphatic yes!  While the actual procedure is
> different than that for linux (easier, in fact), it can be done quite
> simply: look at

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-buil
ding.html

I think he's asking if there is a kernel upgrade available, and the answer
really is always no, because unlike linux you cannot upgrade the kernel in
FreeBSD without upgrading the rest of the OS aswell, due to them being
intrinsically linked in FreeBSD.

What you have linked to there is how to make a custom kernel, not upgrade
it, you'll simply be recompiling your existing kernel with different
options/drivers using that.

You can upgrade the entire OS to the current level using CVS, including the
kernel. See the handbook for CVS info.

Indeed, one of the benefits of FreeBSD is that you do not need to
continually upgrade the kernel...

...unless I've got it all wrong :+)

Regards,
Mark