Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 13:50:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        tnguyen@rohan.sdsu.edu (T. Nguyen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Copyright

T. Nguyen said:

> The end result would be a terminal server running an
> embedded trimmed-down and modified FreeBSD kernel, along
> with modified and new drivers.  My understanding is that
> condition #2 of The FreeBSD Copyright applies.  Which says
> I only have to reproduce the copyright notice but NOT the
> source code?

FreeBSD (as long as you don't add GPLed code to the kernel or
runtime) does not encumber your ideas or source code in any
way.  If you want to redistribute binary code as licensed
with the BSD or BSD-like  licenses, you do not encur any
obligation to redistribute source code, or have to expose
your ideas and inventions to the public.

The above idea is one of the hallmarks of the very
free BSD license terms.  Secondarily, companies often
contribute non-strategic works back into the *BSD source
trees so that they offload some of the support work back
into the *BSD team efforts.