Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 01:13:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Busy Tape Drive?

On 01:53:21 "Jonathan M. Bresler" wrote:
>>David Kelly wrote:
>>
>> Related section of dmesg output:
>> ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:6
>> ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
>> ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
>> (ahc0:0:0): "SEAGATE ST32550N 0021" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>> sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 2047MB (4194058 512 byte sectors)
>> (ahc0:6:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2
>> st0(ahc0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty
>
>       the drive stops responding toi scsi bus input during some
>       operations that "take a long time" to complete.
>       i use an anaconda with the ncr scsi controller under
>       freebsd 2.15 an d now 2.2-current.  i had to lenghten
>       a timeout value in /sys/pci/ncr.c (thanks to stefan esser
>       for working this out for me ;)
>
>       you may have to change the  Adaptec 2940 driver as well
>       the timeout was changed from 4 to 1200 (units are 2 second
>       intervalss, i believe).
>
>       take a look at line 4832 in /sys/pci/ncr.c version 1.78

What you suggest doesn't *sound* like the kind of problem I have.
My Anaconda is perfect the first time I use it after a reboot.
And the 2nd, and 3rd times, as long as each use is close in
time to the next. Its almost as if it gets attached to my login
and doesn't get detached on logout. The problem is that I used the
drive the other night and can't now.

OTOH, maybe "mt offline" took too long and the driver got out of
sync and won't ever get back in sync?

Maybe I should rephrase my question in the hope we can figure
out exactly what is going on. Is it FreeBSD, the 2940, or the
Anaconda? The drive refuses to allow me to insert a tape. "mt"
and tar report:

nexgen: {717} tar -t
st0: not ready
tar: can't open /dev/rst0 : Device busy
nexgen: {718}

How would I go about figuring out what is making this drive busy?

Meanwhile I'll see if jmb's NCR patch can be applied to the 2940.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)