Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 23:04:03 -0800
From:      La Temperanza <temperanza@softhome.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Learning about other architectures

Well, without X support it doesn't sound like my type of system, but
hopefully it would mature while I'm scraping together a grand or two.
The workstations you suggested seem reasonable on eBay. I used to be
a Mac user, so I'm not completely spoiled by dirt-cheap hardware :)

Hmm... the UltraSPARC II's nbench numbers don't look too great compared
to some other non-x86 CPUs, though. I'm quite tempted by the 750mHz
Alpha 21264 being able to match a Pentium 4 1.7gHz (impaired by Red Hat,
unfortunately) in integer performance and an Athlon XP 1700+ like mine
in floating point.

However, benchmarks are pretty bogus- expecially under *NIX- and I'm not
sure if the "Compaq C" that Alpha was compiling with is available for
BSD or available at all.