Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:50:10 +0100
From:      Bill Squire <billsf@curacao.n2it.nl>
To:        Tye <playthings3265@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New To unix and linux need to find out whats right for my CPU

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:21:22AM -0500, Tye wrote:
> Hello my name is Tye and I have been looking at using a anther OS liike
linux but so far not been inpressed with Mandrake, Red Hat, or Gentoo.
I'm looking at using FreeBSD and want to know what type of Distro is right
for my CPU I'm using a AMD K-6 2 with 3-D Tech. Your reply would help so
much thank you for your time Tye

First learn how to type and how to properly format your letters. You
would probably do best with Mandrake or Debian. If you want to play
along with BSD, then Gentoo is certainly the one. Eventually, like on
the i386, they will be allot of compatibility. Are you sure you are
up to obsession this can bring? If you want to program, there is really
only one Unix and as a very famous computer journalist said to me as I
tried NetBSD for the first time: "They all drive the same." Right he
was. Unix is the only way to compute in the 'real world'. If you want
to show off, get a Mac: It is FreeBSD with a very likely 64bit future.
(OSX-3 is not AFAIK or can tell -- One amd64 beats 4 G5's in the vast
majority of benchmarks.) Apple is saying little, but the next Macs are
amd64's, but do yourself a favour and build your own box: hardware and
software!

One word to the wise: "The 64bit future" is quite a number of years back
for us real Unix hackers. Let's see, the second generation of Alphas
(21164) is eight years old and I have one that has ran 24/7 for almost
that long.

Bill