Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 23:29:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG (M.R.Murphy)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/mtree BSD.usr.dist

> > The problem I have with scripting will continue to be a problem until
> > the /etc/rc* data embedding mess goes away so I can upgrade a system
> > by overwriting everything but "/var/conf", or a similar directory,
> > and by leaving the /home partition alone, with nothing else sacred.
>
> Your problem with scripting may not be _MY_ problem with scripting.
> That's why scripting is a good thing. ;-)

8-P.

> It lets each of us tailor the behavior of a system as may be required
> for our own use without having it be a major hassle. Minor hassle to
> be sure, but not major, mostly.

One tailored, upgrade becomes a hassle because of the interface
provided for tailoring, and the non-existant guidelines for doing
it in a non-impactful way.

> I don't have a /home partition.  Other folks do it a different way.
> Some people like tomatoes.

Actually, only aliens like tomatos; that's how you recognize them.

8-) 8-).

Really, that you don't put your users in /home is irrelevant.  What
is relevant is that you put them some place other than a directory
that gets upgraded directly as part of the process (and which, in
an SCO or other commercial system would be recognizable from its
lack of mention in the component/file mapping list that was created
when the system was installed).

> It would be presumptuous of me to dictate to them how they should
> configure their systems.

Unless it was your job to provide the upgrade software.  Which it
is.  8-).

> For me to suggest that a cleanup of /etc/rc* would be a bad thing
> would be pretty silly on my part. I get to clean it up each time
> I put in a production system. I get to clean up permissions and
> ownership each time, too, and strip out cruft and insert what I
> deem to be of hrrrumph critical importance. For the systems that
> I'm just dinking with what the FreeBSD team have put together, I'm
> either happy or resigned to leaving it the way they wanted, depending
> on my mood. They've done a really good job, especially considering the
> loosely-coupled development environment. It's damned amazing!

I agree.  Could be even more amazing, too.

> However, I'd consider anything that makes it very much harder for me
> to make it the way I want it to be to be pretty much ill-conceived.

Me too; that includes me wanting to make my system run the latest
and bgreatest code and still be upgradable when a release is cut.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.