Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:18:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   .xinitrc vs .xsession

Or is it .XSession or .Xsession anyways... I am researching what the
difference is between ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession and so far have only found:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue28/tag_xdmthread.html

...as the best source (adding "site:gnome.org" to my Google search was only
mildly informative).  Basically, is this site correct in saying that startx
people should have a ~/.xinitrc whereas those who use xdm should have a
~/.xsession?

I want to simplify, and also find a way to specify most of my setup (such
as window manager, placement of icons and files on the desktop etc) BEFORE
running startx (that is, by editing text and config files).  Anyone?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder