Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:39:19 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cdsec.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in getservbyXXX?

> If the problem is a memory leak in the stdio stuff, then it seems a
> reasonable assumption that if I do a setservent(1) at the start, that
> the problem will be circumvented, do you agree?

Presuming that the bug has to do with the open/close allocation, that
sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Forgive me my confusion, but the following fragment here (I thought I
should try to reproduce your leak) doesn't appear to behave as I would
expect :

#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>

void main(void)
{
	for (;;)
		if (getservbyport(23, NULL) == NULL) {
			fprintf(stderr, "argh!\n");
			exit(1);
		}
}

ie. it exits immediately.  I tried various assortments of parameters
(eg. network and native order on the port, NULL, "tcp", "udp", etc for
the protocol).   8(

mike