Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:04:10 +0100
From:      raj.choudhury@de.opel.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   shared OS installation on laptop-2 Questions

Two newbie questions if I may:-

(A) I "successfully" (?!?) installed FreeBSD 4.0 from CD on an HP-N5135 laptop
to be shared with Windows M.E.  I used the Boot Manager to accomplish this
(having first used FIPS 2.0 to split its 5GB hard drive). Upon reboot I was
given 3 choices:

     F1 ??
     F2 DOS
     F3 FreeBSD

Now I realize the "??" refers to the fact that I had a type UNKNOWN partition on
my hard disk when I entered the partition editor:

Disk name: ad0
SIZE      NAME      DESC
63        --        unused
562212         ad0s1          unknown**
4466070   ad0s2          fat
4739175   ad0s3          freebsd

I believe this ** space (namely some 275MB) is used by the laptop for
housekeeping when it goes into "HIBERNATE" mode. My two questions are:

1. from an "aesthetic" point of view, can I eliminate choice F1 from appearing
when I boot up the computer? (Should I have somehow designated the ad0s1
partition as unbootable in the partition editor?)

2. since I don't care about the hibernate feature (if indeed that's what the
mysterious quarter-gig allocation is for), can I safely get rid of it without
creating general boot problems or Windows problems? And if so, would I just be
desginating ad0s1 as freebsd space and create a mount point for it and treat it
as if it were just a 2nd freebsd partition?

(B) I know I need to play around with this more, but any hints or suggestions
would be appreciated:  I got X windows "barely working" via the install process:
I can now do startx and get a GUI window showing xterm, login and xclock.The
resolution is too low and the window size too small. So, I messed up my
configuration settings no doubt! But I was feeling around in the dark
because.... I have no info on the HP-N5135 monitor beyond what's shown on the
specs webpage (
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/mobile_computing/support_doc/bpi04266.html). I
called HP and asked for the horiz & vertical sync ranges, dot clock frequency,
chip set, video mode, etc (all the stuff listed in Greg Lehey's fine book). They
couldn't tell me anything beyond "RDAC 24 bit 110Mhz; CRT 1024x768 85MHz;
1280x1024 75MHz; 1600x1280 60MHz; Trident Cyberblade RDAC 24 bit 230MHz
1600x1280 ?? ". That's a direct quote (including the question marks) from the HP
rep. He claimed no info on sync ranges, dot clock or chip set. This spec page
says video chip is S3 Savage/IX. Can you provide any leads on what I would want
to select when configuring X (I tried "S3 Savage (generic)" with standard VGA)?
Should HP have more info than what the one rep gave me? Or is it available
elsewhere on the web that you know of? Am I out of luck with a "Savage/IX" chip?

Thanks for your help. I will really appreciate it !! Happy Turkey Day...

Raj Choudhury
Wiesbaden, Germany

PS: if you could cc: me at
     rajchoud@sitecom.de
as well that would be great, so I can curl up with a good [note]book and read it
in bed ;-)