Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 2003 00:57:43 +0200
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        ivan.dolezal@vsb.cz
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't compile kernel without bpf

Ivan Dole=9Eal wrote:

> As for kernel compilation (wireless does need bpf), this was it!

	The new 802.11 layer (device wlan) and some WiFi device drivers (ath=20
and wi) uses the bpfattach2() function call. The bpfattach2()=20
implementation has no stub counterpart in "non-bpf" section of=20
net/bpf.c, so the kernel can't be succesfully linked without BPF support.=

	It's the immediate cause why we need bpf in kernel now.

	The question is - is presence of bpf mandatory for functionality of=20
802.11 devices ?

	I think the correct answer is NO, so it's bug and stub bpfattach2()=20
should be added to apropriate place of net/bpf.c. But I'm not sure.=20
Someone who know should decide and send PR ...

							Dan