Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:40:03 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: User-ppp on 3.4-Stable

Brian Somers wrote:

> > I ran into a problem today with user-ppp. I was reading about ppp and
> > that is when I got into trouble :). The message log keeps taking about
> > -alias being depricated and so I was trying to get aliasing to work with
> > NAT. That is when I started getting the following message
>
> Check your release notes.  They mention that -alias is now -nat.
> -alias continues to work, but it issues a warning.

I did read them but when I substituted -nat for -alias my Windows 2000
systems, which use FreeBSD as the gateway, wouldn't connect. I stopped
ppp and restarted it with -alias and they connected. That is what I
meant by trying to get -nat to work.

I went back and carefully closed the session, killed ppp, restarted it
with -nat instead of -alias, and -nat worked. Murphy is playing with
my mind :).

> > Dec 19 14:36:45 ruby ppp[454]: Warning: No available tunnel devices
> > found (Device busy)
> >
> > This didn't occur on 3.3S, when I used pppctl to close down user-ppp. At
> > least, I don't remember ever seeing that message before.
>
> Ppp is still running - ps will tell you its process id....
>
> >                                                          User-ppp seems
> > to be very sensitive to rebooting the system while it is still running.
> > I have it configured, from the sample.conf, to use /var/run/internet and
> > that local domain socket is left around if it shuts down badly.
>
> What do you mean by ``badly'' ?  Ppp only handles certain signals
> (see the man page).  If you start sending other signals, ppp will
> take the default action.

I wondered if that was the reason but not having encountered it
before, I didn't recognize the symptom.

Kent

> >                                                                 User-ppp
> > won't start if it already exists. It is a simple matter to cd to
> > /var/run and rm it, which will allow ppp to start.
>
> Ppp will start, it'll just fail to create a diagnostic socket.
>
> >                                                    It is easy to make
> > ppp leave /var/run/internet. All you have to do is use top to kill the
> > process. The system was cvsup'ed on 18 Dec (19 Dec UTC) and the make
> > world was done on 19 Dec.
>
> And how are you killing it (see above) ?
>
> > When I tried starting user-ppp with the -nat option, I didn't get
> > aliasing for my other systems. I figure I am missing something but don't
> > know what. The -alias still works but I want to switch to the curent
> > style.
>
> -nat and -alias are synonymous - except that -alias warns that it's
> deprecated.
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Kent
>
> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
>       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !          <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html