Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:21:57 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Juan Savioli <jcs@owl.dhi.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD Rom

Juan Savioli said:
>Hi,
>
>I just installed FreeBSD 2.1.0 Current. Unfortunately I could not
>use my CD Rom because it is not recognized by FreeBSD (Mitsumi FX 600
>Atapi), so I copied some of the directories from my Walnut Creek
>CD Rom to my hard disk and it worked, but I could not installed
>the ports. Could anybody tell me if some of the executables like
>latex, gnuplot, fvwm , etc, etc, etc are in the CD, or I have to
>compile them?. If they are, where??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Juan

There should be a 'packages' directory on the 1st CD, containing all
the precompiled ports.  You should be able to copy the desired
packages onto your MSDOS partition (making sure to rename them to
<something_short.tgz>) then use pkg_manage or pkg_add to install them
in FreeBSD.

Some of the ports don't ship with corresponding packages (I think due
to unusual licensing restrictions, such as xv) but you can always
compile the port from source.

Hope this helps,

	Scott