Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 16:51:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Miguel Ramos <miguel@rift.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SoundBlaster PCI 128 detection under FreeBSD

Greetings everyone,

	I recently purchased a SoundBlaster 128 PCI card, and am trying to
get it working under FreeBSD. I read all the postings about it in the
mailing list archives before posting here. It seems that this card is
supported, (i am running 3.3-release) under the ensoniq driver. From what
I can tell, I had to compile support for it in the kernel. I added the
line:

device es1

to the kernel and recompiled it. Upon bootup, it says the kernel detects
the following:

Oct 10 02:54:37  /kernel: es1: <AudioPCI ES1370> rev 0x01 int a irq 9 on
pci0.10.0
Oct 10 02:54:37  /kernel: pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0x6500

(I don't know what pcm1 is, i didn't add that to the kernel)

So it looks like it detects (did i do this right?), and I makedev'ed
snd0 and snd1. Now as a test, x11amp was run on a test mp3. It seems
like the mp3 is playing, but no sound is coming out of the speakers.

If anyone has gotten their SoundBlaster 128 PCI to work, please let me
know by private email (I am not subscribed to the list) how I can do this.
Should enough people be curious about how to set it up I can also type up
the instructions after I get this working and stick them on the web for
people.

Regards,

Miguel Ramos
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.