Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 2010 10:03:59 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <wearabnet@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 and MySQL 5.1.x

--------------enigFC6B24862A2EDAED648CB607

Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> Hey there,
>=20
> I was curious if it's the right time to move to MySQL 5.1.x instead MyS=
QL 5.0.x. with FreeBSD 8.x
>=20
> Any bench marks with FreeBSD 8.x? Or shall we stick to MySQL 5.0.x for =
now?
>=20

We can't really answer that for you.  If performance is your overriding
consideration, then 5.1 /might/ be a good choice.  It depends very much
on the sort of workloads you have.  5.0 is faster for some things, 5.1 fo=
others.  I think it's generally the case though that 5.1 does give improv=
ed
performance on the latest multi-core 64 bit servers with high concurrency=

applications, but the only way to know for sure is to run your own tests.=

Don't put your trust entirely in benchmarks: they are frequently ill-conc=
eived
and badly executed, and usually concentrate on highlighting a specific
performance feature under highly artificial conditions.  Real life usage =
will
give you different answers.

Although MySQL is pushing 5.1 as their current GA release, I don't think
there's going to be any dropping of support for 5.0 any time soon.  5.1 w=
ould
be my first choice for a new installation, but I see no pressing need to
upgrade any existing 5.0 systems.  On the other hand, 5.1 is stable and
reasonably well debugged nowadays, and it's got good backwards compatibil=
ity
with 5.0, so if you do decide to upgrade, it's probably not going to caus=
e you
any great trauma.

	Cheers,

	Matthew