Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 09:35:41 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        "M. Wang" <mwang@fastlane.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, M. Wang wrote:

> Hi, I installed FreeBSD 2.1.0.  But, when reboot from hard disk, it just
> boot as if I had never installed boot manager.  When I am in DOS, I
> cannot change drive to the partition I installed FreeBSD.  However, from
You'll never see your FreeBSD partition from DOS. DOS wouldn't understand
its structure anyhow...

> fdisk, I can see a partition marked Non-DOS and the activation status is
> on.  I partitioned my disk using fdisk utility of DOS.
>
> When I first installed FreeBSD, I could not boot from my hard disk at
> all.  I had to reinstall DOS and all other data in my first drive and
> second drive. (So, basically, I install FreeBSD before I install DOS?).
> The current situation is like what I described on my first paragraph.
You probably didn't have to. The installation might have messed up the
active partition indication on your first disk. Running fdisk and turning
it on would have done the trick...

> I have 486 machine.  Two IDE drives.  130 meg and 540 meg.  I use first
> drive for DOS(windows3.1), and the first part of second drive for DOS,
> and remaining for FreeBSD.
That's it!
BootEasy probably got installed on the second disk only! (I guess this
should be a FAQ by now, but I think it's not :-(. The 2.1.0 installation
will only change the boot block on drives you asked it to install on.
You'll need it on the first disk as well. Just install it manually (it's
in the /tools directory on the CD or under that at ftp.freebsd.org), from
DOS. Note that this will work unchanged only if your second drive is the
slave of the primary controller (i.e. wd1). If it is on the secondary
controller (the disk is named wd2) you'll have to build a custom kernel.

> I use novice installation.  The second drive partition after I installed
> FreeBSD is as follows:
>
> Offset      Size    End    Name   PType   Desc     Subtype   Flags
>     0       1008    1007     -       6    unused      0
>  1008    512,064  513,071   wd1s1    4    extended    5        =
> 513,072   541,296 1,054,367  wd1s2    3    freebsd    165      C=
>

> I saw some questions similar to mine on the search engine, but, where can
> I find the answers to those questions?
I hope you just did :-).

> By the way, when I install, I did not see where it ask me which drive I
> want to install Boot manager, I supposed it just install on my first
> dirve, right?
As I said before, there is a bug (feature???) of the 2.1.0 sysinstall that
makes it install BootEasy on disks it is asked to install FreeBSD on, and
on those disks only. The installation program asked you what disk you'd
like to install on, and you probably chose just the second disk (should
make sense). After partitioning it, it gave you the option of installing
BootEasy on it. Had you chosen to install FreeBSD on both disks, it would
have asked you for each one separately (even if you wouldn't have changed
a single bit on the first disk), so you'd have the chance of installing
BootEasy on the correct disk. Hope this makes sense.

> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Marie Wang
> Disk name: wd1  Disk Geometry  1046 cyls / 16 heads / 63 sectors
             ^^^
Ah! You're lucky (no kernel rebuild required).

Nadav Eiron