Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:06:13 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "rust" <leoric@fastlane.net>
Subject:   Re: printer

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:05:00 -0500, rust wrote:

>i was wondering    does UNIX speak in postscript only
>and i have 300-400 dollars to spend on a printer and i was thinking of
>getting a laser printer that could understand postscript   i would need
>more money wouldnt i and could you reccomend a printer that is fairly
>common and costs about that much

You can use a "filter" program that will convert the postscript format
into another format.  The handbook has a section on printing.  Go to
http://www.freebsd.org/ and navigate to Documentation and then the
handbook.  Many people are using "ghostscript" which will convert
postscript into, say, Hewlett Packard's PCL.  You could, I believe,
also convert to simple ASCII, but then you wouldn't have any graphics
support.  Also, see "ghostview" in the ports collection.

And your budget for a printer is quite common.  Many of us can't afford
a $3000 printer.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.